Working of the Tribunal
Sessions of the Tribunal
(1) The Tribunal shall meet for its first session within 60 days after
its constitution or such other period as the parties may agree. The dates
of that session shall be fixed by the President of the Tribunal after
consultation with its members and the Secretariat, and with the parties
as far as possible. If, upon its constitution, the Tribunal has no President,
such dates shall be fixed by the Secretary-General after consultation
with the members of the Tribunal, and with the parties as far as possible.
(2) Subsequent sessions shall be convened by the President within time
limits determined by the Tribunal. The dates of such sessions shall be
fixed by the President of the Tribunal after consultation with its members
and the Secretariat, and with the parties as far as possible.
(3) The Secretary-General shall notify the members of the Tribunal and
the parties of the dates and place of the sessions of the Tribunal in
Sittings of the Tribunal
(1) The President of the Tribunal shall conduct its hearings and preside
at its deliberations.
(2) Except as the parties otherwise agree, the presence of a majority
of the members of the Tribunal shall be required at its sittings.
(3) The President of the Tribunal shall fix the date and hour of its
Deliberations of the Tribunal
(1) The deliberations of the Tribunal shall take place in private and
(2) Only members of the Tribunal shall take part in its deliberations.
No other person shall be admitted unless the Tribunal decides otherwise.
Decisions of the Tribunal
(1) Any award or other decision of the Tribunal shall be made by a majority
of the votes of all its members. Abstention by any member of the Tribunal
shall count as a negative vote.
(2) Except as otherwise provided by these Rules or decided by the Tribunal,
it may take any decisions by correspondence among its members, provided
that all of them are consulted. Decisions so taken shall be certified
by the President of the Tribunal.
Incapacity of the President
If at any time the President of the Tribunal should be unable to act,
his functions shall be performed by one of the other members of the Tribunal,
acting in the order in which the Secretariat had received the notice of
their acceptance of their appointment to the Tribunal.
Representation of the Parties
(1) Each party may be represented or assisted by agents, counsel or advocates
whose names and authority shall be notified by that party to the Secretariat,
which shall promptly inform the Tribunal and the other party.
(2) For the purposes of these Rules, the expression "party"
includes, where the context so admits, an agent, counsel or advocate authorized
to represent that party.